New Windshields For Cars, Trucks, RV’s and Commercial Vehicles
Expert Windshield Specialists in Columbia
While many types of windshield damage can be repaired without complete auto glass replacement, there are times when the damage incurred requires installation of a new windshield. When you need windshield replacement, Auto Glass Express will make this an easy and simple process—not only do we have extensive experience handling insurance companies and the claims associated with windshield damage, but we will also come to your location for the utmost in convenient window screen replacement in Columbia, SC.
Signs You Need Your Windshield Replaced
How can you tell the difference between a windshield that needs auto glass repair and one that needs windshield replacement? The best way to obtain a definitive answer is to contact an auto glass repair service; however, there are a few signs that often indicate you may need windshield replacement.
- When a chipped or cracked windshield obscures your view, it is a serious safety hazard that increases your risk of an accident. Thus, chips and cracks that occur in the auto glass that falls in the driver’s direct line of view typically require windshield replacement to address.
- When cracks, chips, and other types of damage occur near the edges of your windshield, it can affect the structural integrity of the entire piece of glass. This is a significant safety hazard and requires that the windshield be replaced, rather than simply repaired.
- Long, complex cracks, cracks that affect the interior of the windshield, or multiple chips and other issues that have built up on the windshield typically suggest that you’ll need complete windscreen replacement. Additionally, cracks that have accumulated debris are typically not reparable and you’ll need to have your windshield replaced instead.
The Basics of Windshield Replacement
A complete windshield replacement typically takes between 40 and 90 minutes, depending on your vehicle’s make and model, as well as the condition of your windshield.
- Your current windshield is carefully removed by cutting through the urethane material holding it in place. This generally takes about 15 minutes, but a severely damaged windshield may be harder to remove.
- The area where the windshield will attach is cleaned, then the new windshield is brought out and checked for fit. Any adjustments in the size or orientation of the windshield are made before it is secured to the vehicle.
- A strong urethane compound is applied and the new windshield is secured in place. The urethane must cure before you can drive; this may take one or several hours, depending on the product used.
Windshield replacement should always be handled by a professional—if you need to repair or replace a cracked windshield near Columbia, SC, please call Auto Glass Express at (480) 500-9000 for a free estimate.